WELLINGTON – SUN 26 JANUARY 2014
They say you can’t beat Wellington on a good day and this stood very true last season where we had cracking conditions for the State Capital Classic, resulting in very happy competitors across all four swim distances.
This season sees the State Capital Classic kicking off at the more respectable hour of 8.30am on Sunday 26 January 2014 with the ‘I’m Going Long’ swim from Frank Kitts Park, around the iconic Pt Jerningham Lighthouse to Freyberg Beach in Oriental Bay. Then the ‘Step it Up 1000m’, ‘Give it a Go 300m’ and inspirational State OceanKids take to the water in their respective swims from Oriental Bay Beach to Freyberg Beach.
Get all your friends and family to come and support you during your swim, with some of the best spectator vantage points around the Harbour and hugging the Oriental Bay Beaches. As with all the other six State New Zealand Ocean Swim Series events, New Zealand’s Surf Lifesavers will be out in force keeping a watchful eye on the swimmers as you take on your personal challenges and enjoy swimming in the Capital’s Harbour. See you there!
NEWSFLASH: fund raise for Surf Life Saving NZ and get your individual / series entry FOR FREE! Click here for details.
Swim Start & Safety Briefing Times
The State Capital Classic event provides an ocean swim event for all ages and abilities.
- The ‘I’m Going Long’ 3.3km Ocean Swim starts at 8.30am in Frank Kitts Park and finishes at Freyberg Beach. The compulsory safety briefing is at 8.10am at Upper Frank Kitts Park. This swim is for individuals with swimming experience who have trained to complete this event.
- The ‘Step It Up’ 1000m Ocean Swim, starting at Oriental Bay Beach at 10.35am and finishing at Freyberg Beach, is an achievable distance for individuals with swimming experience, who could be training for the ‘I’m Going Long’ swim at one of the other events. The compulsory safety briefing starts at 10.30am at Oriental Bay Beach.
- The ‘Give It A Go’ 300m Ocean Swim, starting at Oriental Bay Beach at 11.15am and finishing at Freyberg Beach, is a great introduction to open water swimming. The compulsory safety briefing starts at 11.10am at Oriental Bay Beach.
- The State OceanKids, kicking off at 11.20am at Oriental Bay Beach, is for children aged between 6-10 years old and consists of a fun 30 minute safety activity session followed by a 200m shallow water swim from Oriental Bay Beach to Freyberg Beach, lined with Surf Life Saving NZ guards – read more.
View Larger Map
Swimmer Information Sheet
The Swimmer Information Sheet for the Capital Classic will be uploaded to this page on Mon 13 January 2014. In it will be everything you need to know about the event (event parking, event site services and activities, prize giving information etc), helping to make it a better, more informed experience for you and your support crew!
Swim Pack Pick Up / Registration Event Details
See below the details of the swim pack pick up / registration for the State Capital Classic event this season. This is usually more busy than normal at the beginning and end, so to avoid the queues, we recommend coming in the middle of the registration period.
Date: Saturday 25 January 2014
Time: 1.00PM – 5.00PM
Venue: Fletcher Foyer, Michael Fowler Centre, 109-111 Wakefield Street, Wellington 6011
Googlemap: Michael Fowler Centre
Free parking locations: Michael Fowler Centre Car Park
If you can’t make the registration event – check out our race pack courier service below.
All entrants will receive:
- A timing chip which is loaned to you for the event
- A swim cap that you must wear for the duration of the event
- A State New Zealand Ocean Swim Series branded beach towel from our principal sponsor State insurance (one per season)
- A personalised certificate that you can download and print at no charge from the results page
- Other sponsor goodies
- State bag transfer service (for ‘I’m Going Long’ competitors only)
- State bag tent at main event site for all competitors
Swim Pack Courier:
If you can’t make the swim pack pick up event above, you can pre-pay for your swim pack (including swim cap, timing chip etc) to be couriered to you the week leading up to the event. In the interest in keeping your costs down, couriers are split into two zones at different prices. Note: couriers purchased with incorrect zones may not reach you in time. Please check here for more information about couriers and see which zone and price your courier will be.
Please note that Swim Pack courier orders for the State Capital Classic close at 5pm Wednesday 15 January 2014, so make sure you purchase yours before this date if you would like your Swim Pack couriered to you.
You can book and pay for this courier service when entering online or purchase from the ocean swim store.
Club Active Gym would like to offer Wellington ocean swim participants a special summer gym and swim membership. As well as two swim clinics a week, one in the sea and one in the pool, entry to the event will be paid for and full access to our well equipped gyms, group fitness classes and all WCC pools, spas, saunas and steam rooms. More…
11:59PM – Saturday 30 November 2013 – Online Early-bird pricing finishes
5.00PM – Wednesday 15 January 2014 – Swim Pack courier orders close
11:59PM – Saturday 18 January 2014 – $5 late entry fee applies
11.59PM – Friday 24 January 2014 – Online registrations close
ALL DAY – Sunday 26 January 2014 – $10 event day late entry fee applies
Bag Transfer Service and Bag Tent
State provide a Free Bag Transport service for ‘I’m Going Long’ competitors from the Upper Frank Kitts Park start site to the Freyberg Beach finish site. Please use the swim packs provided and leave them in the bag cages by 8.10am sharp. Bags will be transferred to the State Bag Tent at the Freyberg Beach event site for competitors. This tent is also available for other swim competitors. This is on an all care and no responsibility basis.
The State Capital Classic prize giving will take place at 12.00pm on Sunday 26 January 2014 at the event site on Freyberg Beach. Overall and Age Group winners and place-getters will be awarded medals and awesome spot prizes will be handed out to those present. In the unlikely instance of bad weather, the prize giving will be cancelled and age group & overall winners will be able to collect their medals from the Information Tent from 12.00pm.
Check out the Millennium Hotels’ page for great accommodation deals at the Copthorne Hotel Wellington Oriental Bay – especially for State New Zealand Ocean Swimmers, friends and families. Price includes a free pair of swim goggles (one per room) and a liquid breakfast drink to get you going in the morning! Get in quick as rooms are limited.
We are currently working with Wellington City Council to provide some more suitable parking options for swimmers and supporters. Details of these will be updated to this page when confirmed.
Cut off times
The cut off times for the State Capital Classic are:
- ‘I’m Going Long’ 3.3km – 2 hours from your wave/group start
- ‘Step It Up’ 1000m – 40 minutes from your group start
- ‘Give It Go’ 300m – 13 minutes
In the event of weather that prevents the State Capital Classic “I’m Going Long’ swim from being able to go all the way out to Pt Jerningham safely, the swim will be changed to a shortened 2km contingency course starting at the same normal start location off Frank Kitts Lagoon, turning right at a 960m cut off buoy and heading into Freyberg Beach, around the fountain (see below map). This course suits days when the Capital is hit by a blustery nor-westerly wind. All swimmers will be briefed at the same Upper Frank Kitts Park location, almost one hour later at 9.10am. The swim will start at 9.30am. Swimmers will be advised prior by email, text message, on the State NZ Ocean Swim Series Facebook page and website. If conditions change significantly on event day morning, a text message will be sent out to all swimmers.
Tell someone where you’re going and when you’ll be back.
“I’ve been a competitive pool swimmer since I was 6 and so I’ve been training at least 2 or 3 times a week for 50 years now! When I moved here from the UK in 2003 I’d never done an open water race before -nobody in their right mind swims for fun in the sea” John Shackleton
Proudly supported by: