KING OF THE BAYS
AUCKLAND – SAT 12 APRIL 2014
From its inception in 2004 with its first 300 swimmers, the State King of the Bays event has grown to 1600 happy swimmers – demonstrating a huge amount of loyalty and interest in the event across all swimming abilities. Its popularity is also no surprise given the stunning scenery and atmosphere created around the event in the lifestyle-focused communities of Takapuna and Milford.
NEWSFLASH: fund raise for Surf Life Saving NZ and get your individual / series entry FOR FREE! Click here for details.
Swim Start & Safety Briefing Times
The State King of the Bays event provides an ocean swim event for all ages and abilities.
- The ‘I’m Going Long’ 2.8km Ocean Swim, starts at 9.30am at Milford Beach with the compulsory safety briefing at 9.10am at the same location, heads along the coast from Milford Beach to Takapuna Beach. This swim is for individuals with swimming experience who have trained to complete this event
- The ‘Step It Up’ 1000m Ocean Swim starts at 11.20am at Takapuna Beach with the compulsory safety briefing at 11.15am from the same location. It is an achievable distance for individuals with swimming experience and could be training for the ‘I’m Going Long’ swim at one of the other events.
- The ‘Give It A Go’ 300m Ocean Swim starts at 12.00pm at Takapuna Beach and is a great introduction to open water swimming. The compulsory safety briefing is at 11.55pm at the same location.
- The State OceanKids, kicking off at 12.05pm slightly north of the main event site on Takapuna Beach, is for children aged between 6-10 years old and consists of a fun 30 minute safety activity session followed by a 200m shallow water swim along the beach shore line, lined with Surf Life Saving NZ guards – read more.
|View Larger Map|
King of the Bays Training Swims
Want to practice your event starts and course navigation with other swimmers before the King of the Bays event? We’ll be offering training swims at Takapuna Beach on Tuesday evenings, on the lead up to the event – 25th March, 1st April and 8th April. Click here to find our more.
Swim Pack Pick Up / Registration Event Details
Date: Friday 11 April 2014
Time: 12.00PM – 1.30PM
Venue: Copthorne Room One, Copthorne Harbour City Hotel, 196-200 Quay St, Auckland, 1140
Googlemap: Copthorne Harbour City Hotel
Car parking: There is plenty of parking at the downtown car park – see car park information and location HERE
Date: Friday 11 April 2014
Time: 5.00PM – 8.00PM
Venue: Milford Cruising Club, 24 Craig Rd, Milford, North Shore, Auckland 0620
Googlemap: Milford Cruising Club (note the arrow in the map points to No. 22 Craig Rd. The Cruising Club is the big white building on the reserve. There will be event flags outside.)
Car parking: There is plenty of parking around the reserve and up the side streets
If you can’t make either of the registration events – check out our race pack courier service below.
All entrants will receive:
- A timing chip which is loaned to you for the event
- A swim cap that you must wear for the duration of the event
- A State New Zealand Ocean Swim Series branded beach towel from our principal sponsor State insurance (one per season)
- A personalised certificate that you can download and print at no charge from the results page
- Other sponsor goodies
- State bag transfer service for ‘I’m Going Long’ competitors
- State bag tent at main event site for all competitors
Swim Pack Courier:
If you can’t make the swim pack pick up events above, you can pre-pay for your swim pack (including swim cap, timing chip etc) to be couriered to you the week leading up to the event. In the interest in keeping your costs down, couriers are split into two zones at different prices. Note: couriers purchased with incorrect zones may not reach you in time. Please check here for more information about couriers and see which zone and price your courier will be.
Please note that Swim Pack courier orders for the State Capital Classic close at 5pm Wednesday 31 March 2014, so make sure you purchase yours before this date if you would like your Swim Pack couriered to you.
You can book and pay for this courier service when entering online or purchase from the ocean swim store.
11:59PM – Friday 14 February 2014 – Online Early-bird pricing finishes
5.00PM - Wednesday 2 April 2014 - Swim Pack courier orders close
11:59PM – Friday 4 April 2014 – $5 late entry fee applies
11.59PM – Thursday 10 April 2014 – Online registrations close
ALL DAY – Saturday 12 April 2014 – $10 event day late entry fee applies
Event Day Transport
A charter bus will be available for ‘I’m Going Long’ 2.8km competitors only. This is an OPTIONAL one-way bus transfer from Hurstmere Rd, Takapuna to the ‘I’m Going Long’ race start in Milford on race morning. Buses will depart no later than 8.30am. Bus tickets can be purchased for $5 each when you enter online, through the online store or at registration. Bus tickets will be given out at registration.
Bag Transfer Service and Bag Tent
State provide a Free Bag Transport service for ‘I’m Going Long’ competitors from the Milford start line to the Takapuna finish line. Bags will be left in the State Bag Tent at Takapuna event site for competitors. This tent is also available for other swim competitors. This is on an all care and no responsibility basis.
The State King of the Bays prize giving will take place at 12.45pm on Saturday 12 April 2014 at the event site on Takapuna Reserve. In the unlikely instance of bad weather, we will advise at the event, where the prize giving will move to. Overall and Age Group winners and place-getters will be awarded medals and awesome spot prizes will be handed out to those present.
State NZ Ocean Swim Series – End of Season prize giving
The State New Zealand Ocean Swim Series prize giving will take place at Takapuna Reserve immediately after the King of the Bays prize giving (starting at approx 1.30pm). Overall Series Competition winners and place-getters will be awarded medals for their achievements and there will be major spot prizes incl. announcing the winners of the Samoa Swim Series competition and giving away an awesome bonus 1000 Fly Buys points to one lucky winner! In the unlikely instance of bad weather, we will advise at the event, where the prize giving will move to.
Check out the Millennium Hotels’ page for great accommodation deals at the Copthorne Hotel Wellington Oriental Bay – especially for State New Zealand Ocean Swimmers, friends and families. Price includes a free pair of swim goggles (one per room) and a liquid breakfast drink to get you going in the morning! Get in quick as rooms are limited.
Cut off times
The cut off times for the State King of the Bays are:
- ‘I’m Going Long’ 2.8km – 1hr 45 minutes from your wave/group start
- ‘Step It Up’ 1000m – 40 minutes from your group start
- ‘Give It Go’ 300m – 13 minutes
In the event of weather that prevents the State King of the Bays “I’m Going Long’ swim from being able to go from Milford Beach to Takapuna Beach safely, the swim will be changed to a shortened 2km triangular contingency course starting and finishing at Takapuna Beach (see above map). The safety briefing will take place on Takapuna Beach half an hour later at 9.40am with the swim starting at 10.00am. Swimmers will be advised prior by email, text message, on the State NZ Ocean Swim Series Facebook page and website. If conditions change significantly on event day morning, a text message will be sent out to all swimmers.
Safe Swimming Tip from Water Safety NZ
“Alexandra Wilson is new to Ocean Swimming and decided there is no time like now!” Alexandra Wilson
Proudly supported by:
The State King of the Bays event is proudly supported by Auckland City Council.