KING OF THE BAYS
NORTH SHORE – SAT 12 APRIL 2014
NEWSFLASH: We have the confirmed date for the State King of the Bays event – so you can get planning for next season! Note that only the event date and key timings have been updated so far. All other event information and timings will be updated ready for entries to go live in July.
From its inception in 2004 with its first 300 swimmers, the State King of the Bays event has grown to 1400 participants – demonstrating a huge amount of loyalty and interest in the event across all swimming abilities. Its popularity is also no surprise given the stunning scenery and atmosphere created around the event in the lifestyle-focused communities of Takapuna and Milford. Keep an eye on this page closer to event time for further details of the exciting 10th anniversary celebrations this season, with particular focus on those who have swum or been a part of each of the 10 events.
Race Start Times
The State King of the Bays event provides an ocean swim event for all ages and abilities.
- The ‘I’m Going Long’ 2.8km Ocean Swim, starts at 9.30am at Milford Beach with the compulsory safety briefing at 9.10am at the same location, heads along the coast from Milford Beach to Takapuna Beach. This swim is for individuals with swimming experience who have trained to complete this event
- The ‘Step It Up’ 1000m Ocean Swim starts at 11.20am at Takapuna Beach with the compulsory safety briefing at 11.15am from the same location. It is an achievable distance for individuals with swimming experience and could be training for the ‘I’m Going Long’ swim at one of the other events.
- The ‘Give It A Go’ 300m Ocean Swim starts at 12.00pm at Takapuna Beach and is a great introduction to open water swimming. The compulsory safety briefing is at 11.55pm at the same location.
- The State OceanKids, kicking off at 12.05pm slightly north of the main event site on Takapuna Beach, is for children aged between 6-10 years old and consists of a fun 30 minute safety activity session followed by a 200m shallow water swim along the beach shore line, lined with Surf Life Saving NZ guards – read more.
|View Larger Map|
The pre-event registration / race pack pick up event details will be listed on here when entries go live in July.
All entrants will receive:
- A timing chip which is loaned to you for the event
- A swim cap that you must wear for the duration of the event
- A swim-related gift from our principal sponsor State insurance
- A personalised certificate that you can download and print at no charge from the results page
- Other sponsor goodies
- State bag transfer service for ‘I’m Going Long’ competitors
- State bag tent at main event site for competitors
Race Pack Courier:
We now offer a pre-paid courier service that will courier your race pack including your swim cap and timing chip to you the week leading up to the event. In the interest in keeping your costs down, couriers are now split into two zones at different prices. Please check here for more information about couriers and to see which zone and price your courier will be. Please note that Race Pack courier orders for the State King of the Bays close at 5pm Wednesday 2 April 2014, so please purchase couriers before this date if you would like your Race Pack sent through to you.
You can book and pay for this courier service when entering online or purchase from the ocean swim store.
5:00PM – Friday 14 February 2014 – Online Early-bird pricing finishes
5.00PM - Wednesday 2 April 2014 - Race Pack courier orders close
11:59PM – Friday 4 April 2014 – $5 late entry fee applies
11.59PM – Thursday 10 April 2014 – Online registrations close
ALL DAY – Saturday 12 April 2014 – $10 event day late entry fee applies
Race Day Transport
A charter bus will be available for ‘I’m Going Long’ 2.8km competitors only. This is an OPTIONAL one-way bus transfer from Hurstmere Rd, Takapuna to the ‘I’m Going Long’ race start in Milford on race morning. Buses will depart no later than 8.30am. Bus tickets can be purchased for $5 each when you enter online, through the online store or at registration. Bus tickets will be given out at registration.
Bag Transfer Service and Bag Tent
State provide a Free Bag Transport service for ‘I’m Going Long’ competitors from the Milford start line to the Takapuna finish line. Bags will be left in the State Bag Tent at Takapuna event site for competitors. This tent is also available for other swim competitors. This is on an all care and no responsibility basis.
The State King of the Bays prize giving will take place at 12.50pm on Saturday 12 April 2014 at the event site on Takapuna Reserve. In the unlikely instance of bad weather, we will advise at the event, where the prize giving will move to. Overall and Age Group winners and place-getters will be awarded medals and awesome spot prizes will be handed out to those present.
State NZ Ocean Swim Series – End of Season prize giving
The State New Zealand Ocean Swim Series prize giving will take place at Takapuna Reserve immediately after the King of the Bays prize giving (starting at approx 1.45pm). Overall Series Competition winners and place-getters will be awarded medals for their achievements and there will be major spot prizes incl. announcing the winners of the two Samoa Swim Series competitions and giving away an awesome bonus 1000 Fly Buys points to one lucky winner! In the unlikely instance of bad weather, we will advise at the event, where the prize giving will move to.
Check out the Millennium Hotels’ page for great accommodation deals at the Copthorne Hotel Harbour City – especially for State New Zealand Ocean Swimmers, friends and families. Get in quick though as rooms are limited.
Cut off times
The cut off times for the State King of the Bays are:
- ‘I’m Going Long’ 2.8km – 1hr 45 minutes from your wave/group start
- ‘Step It Up’ 1000m – 40 minutes from your group start
- ‘Give It Go’ 300m – 13 minutes
In the event of weather that prevents the State King of the Bays “I’m Going Long’ swim from being able to go from Milford Beach to Takapuna Beach safely, the swim will be changed to a shortened 2km triangular contingency course starting and finishing at Takapuna Beach (see above map). The safety briefing will take place on Takapuna Beach half an hour later at 9.40am with the swim starting at 10.00am. Swimmers will be advised prior by email, text message, on the State NZ Ocean Swim Series Facebook page and website. If conditions change significantly on event day morning, a text message will be sent out to all swimmers.
Safe Swimming Tip from Water Safety NZ
“Alexandra Wilson is new to Ocean Swimming and decided there is no time like now!” Alexandra Wilson
Proudly supported by:
The State King of the Bays event is proudly supported by Auckland City Council.