BAY OF ISLANDS CLASSIC
BAY OF ISLANDS – SAT 7 DECEMBER 2013
NEWSFLASH: We have the confirmed date for our newly named State Bay of Islands Classic event – so you can get planning for next season! Note that only the event date and key timings have been updated so far. All other event information and timings will be updated ready for entries to go live in July.
Nestled in the stunning Bay of Islands, Paihia and New Zealand’s first capital Russell set the scene once again for the State Bay of Islands Classic – the second of six events in the State New Zealand Ocean Swim Series.
Build on the buzz of last season, where we had perfect conditions for the day.
The 7th December is a perfect date to swim one of the four State Bay of Islands Classic events, with not only favourable conditions and warm waters, but with the event being on the Saturday morning, the rest of the weekend will be yours to explore the stunning Bay of Islands.
Race Start Times
The State Bay of Islands Classic event provides an ocean swim event for all ages and abilities.
- The ‘I’m Going Long’ 3.3km Ocean Swim starts in Russell at 10.30am and finishes in Paihia. The compulsory safety briefing is at 10.10am. This swim is for individuals with swimming experience and have trained to complete this event.
- The ‘Step It Up’ 1000m Ocean Swim, taking place on Paihia Beach at 12.35pm, is an achievable distance for individuals with swimming experience and could be training for the ‘I’m Going Long’ swim at one of the other events. The compulsory safety briefing is at 12.30pm.
- The ‘Give It A Go’ 300m Ocean Swim, taking place on Paihia Beach at 1.15pm, is a great introduction to open water swimming. The compulsory safety briefing is at 1.10pm.
- The State OceanKids, kicking off at 1.20pm, is for children aged between 6-10 years old and consists of a fun 30minute safety activity session followed by a 200m shallow water swim along the Paihia beach shore line, lined with Surf Life Saving NZ guards – read more.
View Larger Ma
The pre-event registration / race pack pick up event details will be listed on here when entries go live in July.
All entrants will receive:
- A timing chip which is loaned to you for the event
- A swim cap that you must wear for the duration of the event
- A swim-related gift from our principal sponsor State insurance
- A personalised certificate that you can download and print at no charge from the results page
- Other sponsor goodies
- State bag transfer service for ‘I’m Going Long’ competitors
- State bag tent at main event site for competitors
Race Pack Courier:
We now offer a pre-paid courier service that will courier your race pack including your swim cap and timing chip to you the week leading up to the event. In the interest in keeping your costs down, couriers are now split into two zones at different prices. Please check here for more information about couriers and to see which zone and price your courier will be. Please note that Race Pack courier orders for the State Bay of Islands Classic close at 5pm Wednesday 27 November 2013, so please purchase couriers before this date if you would like your Race Pack sent through to you.
You can book and pay for this courier service when entering online or purchase from the ocean swim store.
5:00PM – Friday 11 October 2013 – Online Early-bird pricing finishes
5.00PM - Wednesday 27 November 2013 - Race Pack courier orders close
11:59PM – Friday 29 November 2013 – $5 late entry fee applies
11.59PM – Thursday 5 December 2013 – Online registrations close
ALL DAY – Saturday 7 December 2013 – $5 event day late entry fee applies
Race Day Transport
We have chartered one-way ferries for ‘I’m Going Long’ swim competitors only from Paihia ferry terminal to Russell wharf. Ferry times will be uploaded shortly. Swimmers bags will be transported back to the finish area at Paihia Beach during the race. Please pack light.
Ferry tickets can be purchased for $7.50 each when you enter online, through the online store or at registration.
Public Ferries between Paihia and Russell
Ferry transfers for competitors needing to get to the ‘I’m Going Long’ start line are available for purchase through our online store or when you register online. For spectators wanting to get there, Fullers operate regular passenger and car ferries to get them there.
The 10 minute car ferry, from Opua (7 minutes from Paihia) to Okiato (10 minutes from Russell) is suitable for all vehicles including trucks, buses, and campervans. Tickets are purchased on board. Check out below their contact details for timetables and prices.
The 15 minute public passenger ferry is from Paihia Wharf and Russell Pier. Tickets can be purchased at the Fuller Great Sights office or on board. Check out below their contact details for timetables and prices.
Fullers InterCity Ferries
(09) 402 7421 – Paihia
(09) 403 7866 – Russell
Bag Transfer Service and Bag Tent
State provide a Free Bag Transport service for ‘I’m Going Long’ competitors from the Russell start line to the Paihia finish line. Bags must be left in the bag trailer by 10.10am sharp. Any bags dropped off after this time may not be ready for collection before 11.30am. will be left in the State Bag Tent at Paihia event site for competitors. This tent is also available for other swim competitors. This is on an all care and no responsibility basis.
Carbo loading buffet dinner
Join your fellow swimmers at a carbo loading buffet dinner the night prior to the State Bay of Islands Classic. Collect your swim pack and then stay on for dinner at the Copthorne Hotel & Resort. Tickets are $29 per person and can be purchased when you enter or through the ocean swim store. Tickets will be included with your registration pack.
Venue: Copthorne Hotel & Resort (Learn more)
Date: Friday 6 December 2013
Time: Dinner starts at 6:30PM till 9:00PM
Sundried tomato and olive pasta salad
Mixed green salad with balsamic glaze
Smoked chicken and roasted bell pepper salad
Four cheese pasta with grilled parmesan
Kumara gnocchi with a roast vine tomato sauce
Smoked chicken, basil and pinenut bake
Sticky date pudding with beaten cream and butterscotch sauce
Vanilla ice cream
Selection of teas and freshly brewed coffee
The State Bay of Islands Classic prize giving will take place at 2.10pm on Saturday 7 December 2013 in the Paihia Village Green.
Check out the Millennium Hotels’ page for great accommodation deals at the Copthorne Hotel and Resort Bay of Islands – especially for State New Zealand Ocean Swimmers, friends and families. Get in quick though as rooms are limited.
Cut off times
The cut off times for the State Bay of Islands Classic are:
- ‘I’m Going Long’ 3.3km – 2 hours from your wave/group start
- ‘Step It Up’ 1000m – 40 minutes from your group start
- ‘Give It Go’ 300m – 13 minutes
Learn to Swim. Learn to Survive.
“My partner, Keith, decided for me that I needed to get into ocean swimming when he gave me a wetsuit for my birthday in August last year. Thanks mate!” Deb Clarke
Proudly supported by: