SAND TO SURF
MT MAUNGANUI – SAT 22 MARCH 2014 (preliminary dates)
We have the preliminary date (pending council approval) for the State Sand to Surf event. This should be confirmed by the end of June 2013 and the confirmed date will be posted up on here as soon as we have it. Note that only the event date and key timings have been updated so far. All other event information and timings will be updated ready for entries to go live in July.
This is what ocean swimming is all about – taking the plunge in summer at one of New Zealand’s best destination surf beaches. Playing host to national surf and life saving competitions, the Mount’s Main Beach is the perfect location to test your ocean swimming skills in the surf conditions.
Last season all four swim distances were treated to warm, calm waters, with the ‘I’m Going Long’ swimmers successfully swimming for the first time around Leisure (Moturiki) and Rabbit (Motuatau) Islands – a popular and well received course.
Swimmers will again be supported by the very experienced Mount and Papamoa Surf Lifesaving Clubs, who know the beaches and ocean like the back of their hand – thanks guys!
This year sees the State Sand to Surf taking place again on a Saturday and being under a 2.45hr drive from most major surrounding centres, it’s a great swim to bring the friends and family and make a summer beachside weekend of it!
Race Start Times
There is a distance and challenge for every swimming ability at the State Sand to Surf
- The ‘I’m Going Long’ 2.6km Ocean Swim kicks off at 9.30am on the Main Beach just south of Rabbit Island, with the compulsory safety briefing at the start location at 9.10am. It takes you around Leisure and Rabbit Islands – this provides swimmers with the ultimate challenge so it is important individuals that take part have solid swimming experience and have trained to complete this event
- The ‘Step It Up’ 1000m Ocean Swim, starts on the Main Beach slightly south of the main event site at 11.15am with the compulsory safety briefing at the same location at 11.10am. It is an achievable distance which starts and finishes on Main Beach for individuals with swimming experience and could be training for the ‘I’m Going Long’ swim at one of the other events
- The ‘Give It A Go’ 300m Ocean Swim, starts at 11.55pm on the Main Beach slightly south of the main event site with the compulsory safety briefing at the same location at 11.50pm. It is a great introduction to open water swimming with a triangular course off Main Beach.
- The State OceanKids, kicking off at 12.00pm slightly south of the main event site, is for children aged between 6-10 years old and consists of a fun 30 minute safety activity session followed by a 200m shallow water swim along the Main Beach shore line, lined with Surf Life Saving NZ guards – read more.
View Larger Map
The pre-event registration / race pack pick up event details will be listed on here when entries go live in July.
All entrants will receive:
- A timing chip which is loaned to you for the event
- A swim cap that you must wear for the duration of the event
- A swim-related gift from our principal sponsor State insurance
- A personalised certificate that you can download and print at no charge from the results page
- Other sponsor goodies
- State bag tent at main event site for competitors
Race Pack Courier:
We now offer a pre-paid courier service that will courier your race pack including your swim cap and timing chip to you the week leading up to the event. In the interest in keeping your costs down, couriers are now split into two zones at different prices. Please check here for more information about couriers and to see which zone and price your courier will be. Please note that Race Pack courier orders for the State Sand to Surf close at 5pm Wednesday 12 March 2014, so please purchase couriers before this date if you would like your Race Pack sent through to you.
You can book and pay for this courier service when entering online or purchase from the ocean swim store.
5:00PM – Friday 24 January 2014 – Online Early-bird pricing finishes
5.00PM - Wednesday 12 March 2014 - Race Pack courier orders close
11:59PM – Friday 14 March 2014 – $5 late entry fee applies
11.59PM – Thursday 20 March 2014 – Online registrations close
ALL DAY – Saturday 22 March 2014 – $10 event day late entry fee applies
Ensure a strong performance in the ‘Sand to Surf’ with a great night sleep & the option of a hearty breakfast at Tauranga’s leading hotel. Trinity Wharf Tauranga, situated on & over the water, is offering all ‘Sand to Surf’ participants and their supporters this Exclusive Offer:
• Save 10% off the Best Available Rate
• Obtain a complimentary 1pm Late Check out
• Free WiFi (25 MB per 24 hours) so you can post/ tweet your race photos and times to family/ friends.
• 2 complimentary swimming goggles per reservation valued at $70
• All guest rooms feature separate bath & shower, LCD TV with pay to view movies & SKY TV
• On-site car parking (subject to availability)
• On-site infinity edge lap pool & gymnasium
• 24 hour room service
• Halo Lounge & Dining, open from 7am till late – perfect for enjoying a relaxed breakfast whilst the sun rises over the water or refuelling after your race.
- Superior Guestroom from $168 per room per night (single, double, or twin share).
- Superior Balcony Guestroom from $199 per room per night (single, double, or twin share).
- Buffet Dining Discounts for Children Under 12 years (50%) & Gold Card Holders (15%)
To access these rates, go to www.trinitywharf.co.nz click on the ‘Book Your Stay’ button and enter the Promotional Code: Ocean13. Valid for stays between 15 – 17 March 2013. Rates are nett non commissionable and subject to availability.
State provide a Free Bag Tent available to all competitors at the main event site. This is on an all care and no responsibility basis. Note there is no bag transfer service for the ‘I’m Going Long’ competitors for this event.
The State Sand to Surf prize giving will be take place at 12.40pm on Saturday 16 March 2012 at the event site on the Main Beach. Overall and Age Group winners and place-getters will be awarded medals and awesome spot prizes will be handed out to those present.
Cut off times
The cut off times for the State Sand to Surf are:
- ‘I’m Going Long’ 2.6km – 1hr 40 minutes from your wave/group start
- ‘Step It Up’ 1000m – 40 minutes from your group start
- ‘Give It Go’ 300m – 13 minutes
In the event of weather that prevents the State Sand to Surf swims from going ahead on the Main Beach, the swim will be moved to a contingency course location at Pilot Bay. The safety briefing will take place at Pilot Bay half an hour later at 9.40am followed by the swim start at 10.00am. Swimmers will be advised at the pre-event registration event, the day prior and by email, text message, on the State NZ Ocean Swim Series Facebook page and website. Click HERE for the contingency course maps.
Swim between the flags at the beach and always listen to the advice of the lifeguards.