SAND TO SURF
MT MAUNGANUI – SAT 22 MARCH 2014
Important Event Notification: Change of venue for State Sand to Surf 2014
The State Sand to Surf event has been moved from the Main Beach over to Pilot Bay at the Mount (the Southern ‘Salisbury Wharf’ end) due to forecast surf conditions for Saturday being unsafe.
Our decision to use the contingency courses and location has been made in conjunction with Surf Life Saving NZ and local Harbour Authorities in the interest of swimmer safety.
The full swim distances will still take place at Pilot Bay, with race starts all moving 1 hour later than the scheduled starts.
New race start times as follows:
‘I’m Going Long’ 2.6km – 10.30am start (briefing 10.10am at Pilot Bay)
‘Step it Up’ 1000m – 12.15pm start (briefing 12.10pm at Pilot Bay)
‘Give it a Go’ 300m – 12.55pm start (briefing 12.50pm at Pilot Bay)
State OceanKids 200m – (safety session begins 1pm at Pilot Bay)
This is what ocean swimming is all about – taking the plunge in summer at one of New Zealand’s best destination surf beaches. Playing host to national surf and life saving competitions, the Mount’s Main Beach is the perfect location to test your ocean swimming skills in the surf conditions. Swimmers will again be supported by the very experienced Mount and Papamoa Surf Lifesaving Clubs, who know the beaches and ocean like the back of their hand – thanks guys!
Last season we were treated to one of summer’s best days, with lots of sunshine, warm water and a small swell, meaning our ‘I’m Going Long’ swimmers got to swim around Leisure (Moturiki) and Rabbit (Motuatau) Islands once again. We saw a decent increase in ‘I’m Going Long’ swimmers last season, demonstrating the huge popularity of this course and event location.
This year sees the State Sand to Surf taking place again on a Saturday and being under a 2.45hr drive from most major surrounding centres, it’s a great swim to bring the friends and family and make a summer beachside weekend of it!
NEWSFLASH: fund raise for Surf Life Saving NZ and get your individual / series entry FOR FREE! Click here for details.
Swim Start & Safety Briefing Times
There is a distance and challenge for every swimming ability at the State Sand to Surf
- The ‘I’m Going Long’ 2.6km Ocean Swim kicks off at 9.30am on the Main Beach just south of Rabbit Island, with the compulsory safety briefing at the start location at 9.10am. It takes you around Leisure and Rabbit Islands – this provides swimmers with the ultimate challenge so it is important individuals that take part have solid swimming experience and have trained to complete this event
- The ‘Step It Up’ 1000m Ocean Swim, starts on the Main Beach slightly south of the main event site at 11.15am with the compulsory safety briefing at the same location at 11.10am. It is an achievable distance which starts and finishes on Main Beach for individuals with swimming experience and could be training for the ‘I’m Going Long’ swim at one of the other events
- The ‘Give It A Go’ 300m Ocean Swim, starts at 11.55pm on the Main Beach slightly south of the main event site with the compulsory safety briefing at the same location at 11.50pm. It is a great introduction to open water swimming with a triangular course off Main Beach.
- The State OceanKids, kicking off at 12.00pm slightly south of the main event site, is for children aged between 6-10 years old and consists of a fun 30 minute safety activity session followed by a 200m shallow water swim along the Main Beach shore line, lined with Surf Life Saving NZ guards – read more.
View Larger Map
Swimmer Information Sheet
Click HERE for the State Sand to Surf Swimmer Information Sheet. It contains everything you need to know about the event (event parking, event site services and activities, prize giving information etc), helping to make it a better, more informed experience for you and your support crew!
Swim Pack Pick Up / Registration Event Details
Date: Friday 21 March 2014
Time: 5.00PM – 9.00PM
Venue: Mt Maunganui College Hall, 564 Maunganui Rd, Mt Maunganui, Tauranga, 3143
Googlemap: Mt Maunganui College
Free parking locations: There is plenty of parking at Mt Maunganui College
If you can’t make the registration event – check out our race pack courier service below.
All entrants will receive:
- A timing chip which is loaned to you for the event
- A swim cap that you must wear for the duration of the event
- A State New Zealand Ocean Swim Series branded beach towel from our principal sponsor State insurance (one per season)
- A personalised certificate that you can download and print at no charge from the results page
- Other sponsor goodies
- State bag tent at main event site for competitors
Swim Pack Courier:
If you can’t make the swim pack pick up event above, you can pre-pay for your swim pack (including swim cap, timing chip etc) to be couriered to you the week leading up to the event. In the interest in keeping your costs down, couriers are split into two zones at different prices. Note: couriers purchased with incorrect zones may not reach you in time. Please check here for more information about couriers and see which zone and price your courier will be.
Swim Pack courier orders for the State Sand to Surf close at 5pm Wednesday 12 March 2014, so make sure you purchase yours before this date if you would like your Swim Pack couriered to you.
You can book and pay for this courier service when entering online or purchase from the ocean swim store.
11:59PM – Friday 24 January 2014 – Online Early-bird pricing finishes
5.00PM - Wednesday 12 March 2014 - Swim Pack courier orders close
11:59PM – Friday 14 March 2014 – $5 late entry fee applies
11.59PM – Thursday 20 March 2014 – Online registrations close
ALL DAY – Saturday 22 March 2014 – $10 event day late entry fee applies
Ensure a strong performance in the ‘Sand to Surf’ with a great night sleep & the option of a hearty breakfast at Tauranga’s leading hotel. Trinity Wharf Tauranga, situated on & over the water, is offering all ‘Sand to Surf’ participants and their supporters this Exclusive Offer:
- Obtain a complimentary 1pm Late Check-out
- Free WiFi (50 MB per 24 hours) so you can post/ tweet your race photos and times to family/ friends.
- A complimentary pair of blueseventy Vision swimming goggles (size large) per reservation (value $35)
- All guest rooms feature separate bath & shower, LCD TV with pay to view movies & SKY TV
- On-site car parking (subject to availability)
- On-site infinity edge lap pool & gymnasium
- 24-hour room service
- Halo Lounge & Dining, open from 7am till late – perfect for enjoying a relaxed breakfast whilst the sun rises over the water or refuelling after your race.
- Superior Guestroom
- Room Only - $168 per room per night (single, double, or twin share).
- Bed & Buffet Breakfast – $213 per room per night inclusive of 2 full cooked breakfasts in Halo (single, double, or twin share).
To access these rates, go to www.trinitywharf.co.nz click on the ‘Book Your Stay’ button. First enter your dates of stay (offer valid between 21 – 23 March 2014), then enter the Promotional Code: Ocean14. Rates quotes are nett, non commissionable and subject to availability.
State provide a Free Bag Tent available to all competitors at the main event site. This is on an all care and no responsibility basis. Note there is no bag transfer service for the ‘I’m Going Long’ competitors for this event.
The State Sand to Surf prize giving will be take place at 12.40pm on Saturday 22 March 2014 at the event site on the Main Beach. Overall and Age Group winners and place-getters will be awarded medals and awesome spot prizes will be handed out to those present.
Cut off times
The cut off times for the State Sand to Surf are:
- ‘I’m Going Long’ 2.6km – 1hr 40 minutes from your wave/group start
- ‘Step It Up’ 1000m – 40 minutes from your group start
- ‘Give It Go’ 300m – 13 minutes
In the event of weather that prevents the State Sand to Surf swims from going ahead on the Main Beach, the swim will be moved to a contingency course location at Pilot Bay. The safety briefing will take place at Pilot Bay one hour later at 10.10am followed by the swim start at 10.30am. Swimmers will be advised at the pre-event registration event, the day prior and by email, text message, on the State NZ Ocean Swim Series Facebook page and website.
Swim between the flags at the beach and always listen to the advice of the lifeguards.